Nitonol Engines/Shape memory alloy/smart metal (migrated from Basecamp)
Pat - I like the idea or having fold out decks, platforms and swim steps to maximize real estate. We’re putting together a robotics/mechatronics team and I’d like to incorporate as much automation into the design as possible. One of the goals of ZNEV is to design a “Smart” vessel with integrated systems that communicate with the whole. Another goal is to design the new infrastructure with modular components that can be printed on an on-board 3D printer and have universal fittings that allow components to be mounted and configured in multiple formations. This could also add extra dimensions to the surfaces of the vessel. And if we can design these components to have multiple purposes, we can further increase efficiency. There may be some open-source hardware that can give us more ideas or that we can branch off of.
- Has anyone heard of Nitonol, aka., Nickel Titanium or Shape-memory alloy, aka., Smart Metal?
- There are some experimental engines and other applications and I was wondering if this technology could be useful as a secondary energy generation device or other applications on board the vessel. Boeing and NASA are among a list of groups who have experimented and developed applications with NiTi.
- Check out any of the videos on this youtube page to learn about Nitinol engines
- Medtronic wants to know what else Nitinol can do
- Open Source Hydrogen Patents and other Technologies - Is Hydrogen a viable fuel source for a Zero Energy Vessel?
- Energy Observer is a Zero Energy catamaran that launched from France this year and is on a 6 year voyage to test and improve her technologies. The 30.5 meter catamaran uses solar power and wind turbines to power its electric motors and it uses electrolysis to charge hydrogen fuel cells which take over when the wind drops and the sun sets.
- Elon Musk explains why Tesla Motors made all of their patents open-source and here’s how to download them.
- Toyota has also released over 5,600 fuel cell and related patents available for royalty free use as of 2015.
- John Kanzius invented A Radio Frequency Generator trying to cure cancer that claims to release the hydrogen and oxygen from saltwater?
- Interesting article about the technology on wikipedia
Edited: 11 months ago